To celebrate World Children’s Day 2022, COFACE Families Europe and KMOP Education Hub are pleased to launch a free e-learning course on school bullying prevention and management targeting educators, to support children, school and families in building inclusive learning and social environments which respect diversity. Register and learn about actions to prevent bullying and create an inclusive school environment where all children and young people can fully enjoy their rights under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in a positive and inclusive school environment.
Are you a teacher, school manager, or education practitioner working with children and youth?
Positive classroom dynamics is every educator’s dream and what every student deserves. Through this e-learning course, discover useful insights into the causes, expression, and effects of bullying, as well as clear guidelines on how to prevent and tackle bullying in school communities. This is an introductory course and requires no prior knowledge of bullying. It is useful for all professionals who need basic but also specialised knowledge on school bullying prevention and management.
Bullying and its impact on communities
School bullying and violence is a worldwide worrisome phenomenon that occurs within a broad context, where it becomes very difficult for educators and pupils to control violent behaviour in school environments. Violence in educational settings is a daily reality that deprives millions of children and young people of their right to education and free expression of their identities without any discrimination. According to an estimation by Plan International, 246 million children and adolescents experience violence in and around school every year. Girls are disproportionately affected compared to boys, as well as those children who do not conform to prevailing societal norms. All children can be bullied, yet evidence shows that children who are perceived to be “different” in any way are more at risk. Key factors include physical appearance, ethnic, linguistic or cultural background, including not conforming to sexual and gender norms and stereotypes; social status and disability.
Develop your understanding of the dynamics of bullying and help your community
This first e-learning course focuses on school bullying prevention and management, providing effective skills for teachers mainly, but also for all professionals in any educational setting who work with children, adolescents, and their families. The training follows an interactive approach to ensure each thematic unit is fully understood and can be implemented successfully. You are going to receive clear and detailed instructions on how to apply all the methods and techniques you need to know, to gain the ability to deal with bullying behaviour, contribute to the development of a healthy school environment and consequently help children, families, and the wider society where we all live.
About the course
- Course duration: Approximately 3 hours. You can take the course at your preferred time and your own pace.
- Learning approach: Create your own learning journey by navigating the different activities..
- How does it work? The course is 100% online.
- Language: The course is available in English and Greek.
- Certification: Upon completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of attendance from KMOP Education Hub and COFACE Families Europe.
- Free: The course is free of charge and is developed on the open-source platform, Moodle, which is accessible based on registration.
Your learning, your pace
The course is split into three modules consisting of various activities and organised into learning paths to help you keep track of your progress, and gradually guide you to achieve the course objectives. You can learn through multimedia material, interactive activities, and practical exercises that will keep you active and make the course engaging.
Who developed the course?
The course was developed by Dr. Antonia Torrens, General Manager of KMOP, Vice-President of COFACE Families Europe, educational psychologist with many years of proven experience in the field of prevention and intervention of violent and intimidating behaviour in children and young people. It is part of the European education programme L.I.N.K. (Learning and Innovating through New Knowledge), a joint initiative of KMOP’s Education Hub and COFACE Families Europe. L.I.N.K. educational methods and content of the courses are based on values of human rights, non-discrimination, gender equality, social inclusion, diversity, empowerment, and intergenerational solidarity, and are designed to address important challenges that modern societies face.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you will be able to…
- Understand and explain the characteristics of bullying behaviour and the different types of bullying, including cyberbullying;
- Describe the cycle of bullying and the social dynamics of the phenomenon;
- Learn how to talk to children who are victims of bullying and children who are engaging in bullying;
- Develop actions you can take to prevent bullying and create a positive school climate;
- Understand the significance of adopting a “whole school approach” to prevent and tackle bullying;
- Implement, step by step, the most well-known and tested non-punitive methods for combating school bullying.
If you are an educator, register here to take the course.
Or spread the word and tell educators in your community about the course!
For further information, please contact Beybin Elvin Tunc, COFACE Education Programme Coordinator. [email protected]